Wrestling Take 2-2 at Mount Sac. Duels

Sports+Button
Pete Moye’
Sports Button

Pete Moye’
Sports Button

A score of 2-2 was set for the Cerritos Wrestling team in last Saturdays Mount San Antonio’s wrestling duels for their first competition of the season.

The team lost to the Palomar Comets and the Mount SAC Mounties wrestling team; the Falcons won matches against East Los Angeles College and to the West Hills Golden Eagles.

“There is a lot of competition between us and West Hills for about three or four years now. I can just tell between their guys and our guys that we we’re bumping heads,” said kinesiology major wrestler Ramon Estrada.

“The team did good [for the tournament]. I wasn’t really concerned whether we won or lost. I just wanted to see everyone wrestle and to see what we needed to work on as a group and individually, and we accomplished that.

“We’re a really young team, what we’re really surprised about is that all of the twenty six [wrestlers] we took were able to compete at this level,” expressed Coach Garriott with confidence.

Both the Estrada brothers on the team stood out by taking 3-0 each, Jake Harrison in upper weight class did well for the team as well.

Having such a high amount of freshmen on the team does not a threat or affects the team in a negative way; it is impressive that these wrestlers are doing well for the team. But because of the young team for the Falcons, there is to be a lot of progression through this season before they can top their 2nd place for 1st place State Champions.

Coach Garriott believes that the team has the potential to become state champions by the end of the season by making the progress that the team needs to make, such as focusing on defense on take downs.

As of now, the first place trophy does not appear to be at grasp.

“Coach Garriott is a little more strickter this year, he doesn’t have much leniency for the goofy kids who don’t want to be here,” said kinesiology wrestler major Alfonso Estrada.

Rosaura Montes, Staff Writer