Falcons’ reserves step up big in win against Los Angeles Southwest

Falcon star player freshman guard No. 13 Chance Hunter in serious foul trouble late in the game, Head coach Russ May turned to sophomore center Austin Freeman and he didn’t let him down. His double double, 12 points and 10 rebounds helped the Falcons win a close one with a final score of 86-82.

May said, “Freeman came off the bench and definitely made some big plays for us tonight.”

Freeman made two consecutive crucial free throws with 1:55 remaining in the game that gave the falcons a good cushion.

The Falcons lead 80-73 after two free-throws made by freeman and allowed them to maintain the lead. “Everyone has their time and at that moment I felt like it was my time,” Freeman said after the game. “We get ready and practice real hard for these moments and I’m always ready when the coach calls my number,” he continued.

Sophomore guard No. 24 Desmond Murphy also came off the bench in a big way and produced 12 points on 5/8 shooting from the field.

Murphy also made a critical jump shot with 7:38 left in the game to give the Falcons a 67-64 Advantage after falling behind 64-63.

After grabbing a offensive rebound followed by a tip in, he capped off another fast break with a jumper to give the Falcons a 78-69 lead with 2:43 left in the game.

With hunter out most of the game, sophomore guard No. 2 Jamal Heckard carried the team with his 20 points and shot 100%from the free-throw line. “I had to step up when I seen my guys in foul trouble,” he said after the game.

The game was very close as no team led by more than 6 points. There were many lead changes through out the game. May wasn’t too thrilled about the win and was still concerned with the fatigue and energy level of the team.

“We let LA Southwest make some easy shots and we didn’t play well,” he said. May felt that the team retained their energy and used it in the final minutes of the game.

The Falcons have one more conference game left in the season. A falcons win coupled with one long beach city college loss on the final game of the season, will give the falcons their 11th conference championship.

If both teams win on their final game, both teams will end the season as Co-Conference champions and will advance to the playoffs.

The Falcons will face Los Angeles Harbor on Friday whom they defeated 64-61 last time they played on Feb. 6.

Click below for live tweets from the game:

Nizar Milbes
Nizar Milbes, Staff Writer