Christopher Martinez

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor

Christopher Martinez is currently the sports editor for Cerritos College’s Talon Marks. He hopes to transfer to Cal State Dominguez Hills or Cal State Long Beach and obtain his Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. His dream is to also receive his master’s in journalism from USC and to work as a Sports Data Journalist for either ESPN, Bleacher Report, or Fox Sports.

All content by Christopher Martinez
Its Always Sunny in the South Bay

It’s Always Sunny in the South Bay

Christopher Martinez and Carlos Ruiz May 28, 2019

The South Bay has some of the nicest areas to visit for photography, picnics, hiking, sightseeing and a lot more. There are three stand-out locations that the South Bay has to offer when visiting the...

A comeback story best seen underwater

Jah-Tosh Baruti and Christopher Martinez May 28, 2019
“Jamal you shouldn’t be able to walk. I don’t know how you walked in here the way you did, I would’ve never assumed anything is wrong with you.”

Confessions of a Mastermind

Christopher Martinez May 16, 2019

Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, known professionally as Logic released his seventh studio album ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind’ which highlights the ups and downs as long as the struggles of being...

Bezos is in over his head

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor May 14, 2019

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has a vision of what space can do for humanity. The last Tech Talks established that space is already full of human space junk and not sure what he thinks about humans having...

And you thought our oceans were bad...

And you thought our oceans were bad…

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor April 30, 2019

Day by day we see the signs that the oceans are tainted, rainforests are being destroyed and millions of animals are going extinct. This is the outcome of the Human Race not taking care of the earth and...

Men Swim into playoffs

Christopher Martinez April 15, 2019

Cerritos College Men's Swim team is heading into the Conference Championship with a conference record 4-3. Although the team is finishing with an average record the championship is still anyone's to claim.These...

April 10, 2019-Page 8

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor April 10, 2019

April 10, 2019-Page 7

Tech Talks: New iPad Mini Features

Christopher Martinez April 10, 2019

Late Steve Jobs chairman, chief executive officer and co-founder of Apple Inc. wanted to make a tablet with no keyboard or stylus, but instead of making it into a tablet he created what we know today as...

Tech Talks: What Computer is right for your Major?

Christopher Martinez March 29, 2019

Determining a major may just be as hard as finding a good laptop. Laptops offer many different features for so many different things and if some one picks one at random it could mean they are not getting...

Men falcons stretch off the block at the start of the 200 Butterfly. The Falcons will later finish in the top 3.

[Photo] Cerritos Swim Dives Over Chaffey and East Los Angeles College

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor March 21, 2019

[Video] Video: Cerritos College swim tri-meet vs Chaffey and East Los Angeles

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor March 18, 2019

Cerritos College men and women's swim was victorious against Chaffey College and East Los Angeles College.

iOS 13 could this be the one?

Christopher Martinez March 6, 2019

Every year Apple releases either a new version of its software or an improved version. Last year, consumers saw iOS 12 and a new year has arrived. Consumers are treated to iOS 13, which is rumored to have...

013019-8

[Photo] Jan. 30, 2019-Page 8

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor January 30, 2019

013019-7

[Photo] Jan. 30, 2019-Page 7

012319-7

[Photo] Jan. 23, 2019-Page 7

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor January 23, 2019

012319-8

[Photo] Jan. 23, 2019-Page 8

Tech Talks: 2019 Samsung releases

Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor February 27, 2019

The latest Samsung phone on tech nerd’s mind, the Galaxy Fold marked high at almost $2,000. If anyone is to buy this phone please note, people have tuition fees that could use some covering. The phone...

Photo credit: Sofia Gallegos

Why Angelinos should give a ‘dam’

In past years ice caps have began to resonate back to their liquid state and sea levels are infinitely rising due to climate change. Climate change is an ever growing threat to life on earth and within...

Vonn retires on the podium

Christopher Martinez February 13, 2019

American Skier and Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn finished her final race of her career Sunday Feb.10 at the 2019 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Are, Sweden. She battled a crash in a run earlier...

Under the Radar: UFC Submits its way into mainstream sports

Christopher Martinez January 30, 2019

Ultimate fighting Championships has taken the organized fighting for the past two decades and has no intentions of slowing down.The UFC offers a more diverse of fighters offering more than just boxing...

Men’s swimming hopes to make a splash this season

Christopher Martinez January 22, 2019

Cerritos College Men’s Swim team are swimming towards their first meet of the season at the start of February. They look towards this meet as a benchmark to see their strengths and weaknesses.Over...

Under the Radar: Rain brings hope to a dry snow season

Christopher Martinez January 21, 2019

Los Angeles County has just finished adding on 17 inches of rain and added a fresh 25 inches of snow on average among the resorts in the county, allowing for this weekend to be the best time to get out...

Under the Radar: Street or Ice?

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer December 5, 2018

Whether it be in the streets of your local neighborhood, an open field or at the ice rink nearby, hockey can be played. Hockey is one of the most aggressive and graceful sports in the world. Take the...

Photo credit: Creative Commons

Under the Radar: Surfing Skyscrapers

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer November 18, 2018

Every sport has their wild side; swimming has water polo, diving has cliff diving and surfing has one of the craziest of them all, big wave surfing. The average wave surfed on local beaches, also known...

The team celebrates a goal scored by sophomore captain midfielder No. 6 Esteban Camacho. Camacho had two shots on target in the game against El Camino College on Nov. 6, 2018 at Cerritos College.

[Photo] Falcons win the South Coast Conference after defeating El Camino College 5-0

Randy Tejeda, Staff Writer November 12, 2018

Under the Radar: Water polo makes a splash

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer November 6, 2018

One of the most underrated sports, which is also considered the second hardest sport in the world, is water polo. A sport that is fun to play and fun to learn although many people do not know what it is,...

Sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson breaking the defense and running the ball in for a touchdown. Stevenson ran for 270 yards in the game against San Diego Mesa College at Cerritos College on Oct. 20, 2018.

[Photo] Falcons’ Football crowned Homecoming winner

Jah-Tosh Baruti and Keanu Ruffo October 25, 2018

Sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson breaking the defense and running the ball in for a touchdown. Stevenson ran for 270 yards in the game against San Diego Mesa College at Cerritos College...

Freshman driver No. 17 Kevin Elizarraraz attempting to shoot through the goalkeeper. Elizarraraz scored four goals and had one assist in the game against Mt. San Antonio College at Cerritos College on Oct. 17, 2018.

[Photo] Men’s Water Polo swimming towards post season

Carlos Ruiz, Sports Editor October 24, 2018

Freshman driver No. 17 Kevin Elizarraraz attempting to shoot through the goalkeeper. Elizarraraz scored four goals and had one assist in the game against Mt. San Antonio College at Cerritos College on...

‘The Hate You Give’ shines a light on racial tensions

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer October 22, 2018

"The Hate You Give" is an amazing platform to speak out for those who cannot do so themselves who have been affected by racial tensions. Embed from Getty Imageswindow.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:'HOktKJIsSz5ngPH_1DWKqg',sig:'hvH35f5jZdZZwAouz8xeFi8IUElPfGKoHovjhupNY2I=',w:'594px',h:'346px',items:'995791182',caption:...

Under the Radar: Swimming out of the Shadows

Every four years we are treated to the Olympics and mass of the best athletes from around the world competing against each other for the gold. Sadly every four years is when one sport in particular stands...

Under the Radar: 2018 Rip Curl Pro Portugal

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer October 16, 2018

Surfing at an international level is thriving, but it is the surfing in the beaches across the United States that is struggling to find a place with other big name sports. Here in California, surfing...

Sophomore defender No. 6 Brianna Yepez fighting for the ball on Oct. 9 against Long Beach City College at Cerritos College.

Women’s Soccer Continue 11-0

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer October 14, 2018

Cerritos Falcons Women's Soccer team is on an 11 game winning streak as they won against Long Beach City College Tuesday with a final score of 6-0. This win leaves only four colleges including Cerritos,...

Sophomore forward No. 10 Sydney Carr shielding the ball away from one of the Southwestern College defenders. Carr had two goals and an assist in the match-up at Cerritos College against Southwestern College on Sept. 30, 2018.

Women’s Soccer holds on to winning streak: 9-0

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer October 2, 2018

The Women's Cerritos College Soccer team remain undefeated following the 3-0 win against Southwestern College, from the kickoff Cerritos controlled the game with possession of the ball for more than half...

Sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson rushing the ball in attempt to gain the first down for the Falcons. Cerritos College lost the match-up against Long Beach City College 32-46 on Sept. 29, 2018.

[Photo] Record breaking game ends in loss

Christopher Martinez and Keanu Ruffo October 2, 2018

Sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson rushing the ball in attempt to gain the first down for the Falcons. Cerritos College lost the match-up against Long Beach City College 32-46 on Sept. 29,...

Student discount on gas is a necessity

Christopher Martinez October 1, 2018

Students should be able to receive discounts on gas since the price of gas is not lowering, but increasing.College is notable for being one of the most expensive times in a young adult's life. In some...

Sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson, running through the hole created by the Cerritos offensive line. Stevenson ran for 154 yards against College of the Canyons on Sept. 22 at Cerritos College.

Winning streak over, Falcons look forward

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer September 28, 2018

The Falcons' three game winning streak, snapped on Saturday's game against College of the Canyons with a final score of 28-10. Falcons had a rough start to the first quarter scoring no points and giving...

Women can be MVPs too

Women can be MVPs too

Christopher Martinez September 18, 2018

In the world of sports, men are dominant, even when women have more winning seasons and records in comparison. Female athletes should be receiving just as much sports coverage than male athletes to attain...

Kate De La Mora with a lob shot. Mora led the team in scoring with four goals in the game.

[Photo] Falcons’ water polo plays around El Camino

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer September 17, 2018

Ducle Medina with a block. She had fourteen in the quarter.

Sophomore running back No. 3, Rhamondre Stevenson ran for 200 yards against Moorpark Colleges defense. Stevenson ran through Moorparks defensive line with the hole the Cerritos offensive line created, before shortly running out of bounds at Moorpark College on Sept. 8.

Falcons acquire second win of the season against Moorpark College

Christopher Martinez and Carlos Ruiz September 11, 2018

Cerritos Falcons faced off against the Moorpark Raiders on Sept. 8 in what turned out to be a snap for the four year losing streak as the Falcons top the Raiders 31-10. Within the will of both teams...

Sophomore WR, No. 8 Jacob Gasser with a clean reception running the ball in for a touchdown. The Falcons dominant in the first quarter.

Falcons’ Football off to a strong start

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer September 7, 2018

Falcon football saw its season opener Saturday night against East Los Angeles college and it seemed as though the Falcons were running circles around East Los Angeles with a final score of 56-21. Zarin...

Zombies save elephants

Zombie’s save elephants

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer September 6, 2018

Not much has changed in the world of cancer research in reference to a cure or new form of treatment. However, what if there was a potential walking cancer treatment that has been amongst the world since...

Falcons volleyball falls to Fullerton College

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer September 4, 2018

Cerritos Falcons struggled throughout the game yet were still able to force a fifth set. Looking disoriented and not as a team through the first two sets the Falcons came back in the fourth and fifth...

Freshman wide receiver no. 5, C.J. Parks running up the field. Parks is on his first year for the Falcons.

Falcons’ football scrimmage against Mt. San Jacinto

Christopher Martinez, Staff Writer August 28, 2018

Cerritos College's football team appeared strong on Aug. 23 as they took on San Jacinto College in a scrimmage match. The team's scrimmage consisted of many drills by position amongst themselves, and...

Men and Women’s Water Polo treading into this season

Christopher Martinez August 21, 2018

Women's water polo is off to a promising start while the men’s water polo team is looking lost in the deep end. A minor physical altercation erupted between two Falcon teammates, freshman utility...

Lebron a statistical fit or flop?

Christopher Martinez August 21, 2018

The Los Angeles Lakers snagged one of the most sought out players of free agency, LeBron James, many know his ability and stats, but can his stats alone help the Lakers?Last season, the Lakers had a decent...

Load More Stories

Christopher Martinez