Gordita Eateries: Nonna’s Empanadas

Ask+for+a+side+of+Nonnas+spicy+chimichurri+sauce%21+Pairs+perfectly+with+all+three+empanadas%21+
Rebecca Aguila
Ask for a side of Nonna’s spicy chimichurri sauce! Pairs perfectly with all three empanadas!

Within the deep alleys of The Farmers Market at The Grove lies a hidden gem that will have you following a magnificent smell to Nonna’s Empanadas.

A small wooden shop with history, the food displayed behind the counter is something extraordinary. I myself love empanadas and grew up eating them as a small child. Let me tell you something about these delicious little stuffed breads: they are definitely going to have you ordering more.

It’s impossible to just give one a taste!

This small but mighty shop has about 35 different types and each one of these empanadas is bound to lead you and your taste buds on a savory journey. Most fillings are international dishes that will have you taste bits and pieces of flavors from around the world,

Growing up with empanadas, sometimes the filling might lack in flavor, or at times the empanada itself can even lack some filling! That’s when I feel cheated out of my money and I can just feel my heartbreak. Not cool.

Thankfully Nonna’s isn’t there to run you for your money.

These empanadas are full of filling, great in size and the taste is all there to give you the enticing empanada experience. These are honestly something you would see in an animated cartoon!

Start off with a little bit of an Italian twist with the chicken alfredo empanada! Bits of shredded chicken seasoned with a variety of herbs and cheeses. Tear apart at the center to get the full effect of the gooeyness of the deep pockets of Nonna’s empanadas.

Chicken Alfredo empanadas are stuffed with savory chicken and cheese. You simply cannot just order one! (Rebecca Aguila)

If you’re looking for more of a vegetarian option, I would definitely recommend the mushroom and cheese empanadas. I’m not too big of a fan of mushrooms but since I started to stop eating red meat, mushrooms are my new best friend!

For the vegetarians looking for a delightful snack, try the mushroom and cheese empanadas for a gooey cheesy surprise! (Rebecca Aguila)

You don’t get a strong mushroom-taste which is something I was afraid of once I took a bite but was definitely proven wrong! So piquant, and the cheese goes perfectly with the diced up mushrooms. A string of cheese pulls away at the center crack of the empanada and nothing beats a long string of cheese!

There are plenty more than just the two options I highlighted, it is your job as dedicated rellenitas and gorditos to ensure that every flavor provides major authentic empanada vibes.

Enjoy Nonna’s Empanadas; a dish that fits in your hand and can enjoy on the go as you wander through the lively passageways of The Farmers market.

Rebecca Aguila
Rebecca Aguila, Multimedia Editor
Rebecca Aguila is the currently Multi-media editor and is a 22-year-old student who is majoring Journalism who is set to graduate Spring 2021. Her dream is to create a multi-media production company that is internationally available for an array of content creators. She is a lover of all types of food and will eventually be the creator and producer of food documentary series that highlights the authentic dishes throughout the world.