Saddleback’s Dickerson runs for three touchdowns in win over Falcons

Saddleback+College+running+back+Donnell+Dickerson+%28black+jersey%29+dives+into+the+endzone+during+the+Gauchos+56-21+win+over+the+Cerritos+College+football+team.+Dickerson+had+three+touchdowns+and+97+yards+on+17+carries.+
Pete Moye’
Saddleback College running back Donnell Dickerson (black jersey) dives into the endzone during the Gauchos 56-21 win over the Cerritos College football team. Dickerson had three touchdowns and 97 yards on 17 carries.

Pete Moye’
Sports Button

Saddleback College’s running back Donnell Dickerson pushed Falcons back, ending in a 56-21 loss for Cerritos College football team on Saturday at Gaucho Stadium.

On avenging their loss in the SoCal Bowl last season, Dickerson said, “We still had that sour taste in our mouth and we decided to just come out here and just execute.”

In the first quarter, the Falcons were behind as the Gauchos scored three touchdowns, ending the quarter 21-0.

Saddleback quarterback Ben Gomez said, “We wanted to come back and make a statement.”

Cerritos responded in the second quarter and pushed to score points as Falcons running back Thomas Gray ran for a touchdown.

With one touchdown and 17 yards on 26 carries throughout the game, Gray said, “People were just not ready to go out a play football basically.”

Once Saddleback scored another touchdown, Cerritos then came back with quarterback Brandon Denker passing to tight end Clark Evans with a touchdown and a two point conversion.

The first half ended with Saddleback ahead 28-14.

When it came to problems on the field, Cerritos defensive back Dwan Gill said, “Execution. Execution is definitely a big part in our defense that we lack of right now.”

Cerritos linebacker Dominick Sierra agrees, adding, “It’s not just the DBs, it was everyone.”

In the third quarter, Saddleback scored two touchdowns and Cerritos were able to score one more touchdown with Denker throwing to wide receiver Garion Manning.

However, Saddleback scored two more touchdowns, ending the Falcons’ comeback.

Gauchos offensive lineman Kyle Long said about Cerritos, “This is a team where if you let off one bit then they’ll jump right back at you and we saw that last year. They got us in the playoffs so we had something to prove this year.”

Due to a bye week, Cerritos will not be playing again until Oct. 15. Cerritos ranked No. 18 in the state will play away against No. 13, Ventura College.

Last season, Cerritos played Ventura in the National Division Northern Conference opener and lost 28-21 with two chances in the fourth quarter to score. It was also the first time that Cerritos lost to Ventura with more than five points between the two teams.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.