ASCC president wants to have Scantron vending machines on campus

Associated Students of Cerritos College President Eduardo Del La Rosa is planning to get a Scantron vending machine for the campus.

Before he can do so, he plans to work with members of the Phi Theta Kappa Club to get student feedback on which courses utilize Scantrons.

De La Rosa explained that the administration and Follett bookstore are still in discussion as to how to handle the matter of getting a Scantron vending machine.

He said, “I hope that maybe [Follett] can pick up some of the cost because it has a contract with the vending machine company, so it makes sense that maybe it can provide the Scantrons.”

The vending machine company is UAI Vending, Inc. Located in Moreno Valley, California.

They serve over 300 campuses across the United States with over 400 machines.

Examples of locations served include: Fullerton College, CSUSB, Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, Follett Corporation, Chaffey College and Hawk Bookstore.

De La Rosa offered four possible locations for the vending machine: next to the Library entrance, the Bookstore, the Elbow room or his preferred choice inside the Liberal Arts vending room.

If a machine was to be placed in the Liberal Arts Building vending room, Dr. JoAnna Schilling said she would make sure the room is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Among the items up for negotiation,the vending company is willing to waive the $400 shipping fee and the $400 graphics fee for Cerritos College.

Cerritos College President Dr. Jose Fierro has provided feedback on the current progress.

He said, “We first are looking for a vendor who would donate the machine.”

The search for a donation option will be a month long.

Vice President of Business Services Dr. David El Fattal said, “We have tried to secure machines, but we have encountered that these devices get jammed more with Scantrons.”

El Fattal said, “We are looking at options, we want to save students’ money by finding a vendor for little to no cost.”

He noted that Cerritos College has renewed the contract with Follett for five years with a financial benefit for students.

Until the Scantron vending machines become a reality, Fierro has a side plan to distribute Scantrons during midterms and finals.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013